Saturday, January 15, 2011

Two Movies

I love movies.  There were times in my life when I routinely saw several movies per week - and on several occasions, several movies in a day.  Now, however, it seems to be more difficult to actually get out to a theater.  Because this time of year is best for the types of movies I enjoy, I'm making more of an effort to actually see some.  I saw two very good ones this week.

Blue Valentine is about a mismatched couple who fall  in love, marry, and then grow apart from each other.  It is beautifully acted by Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling.  Not a feel-good movie, but a very convincing movie.

My rating:  ***** (out of 5)

True Grit is a much more stylized movie, a western.  Again, the actors do superb jobs.  Mattie, a 14-year-old living in 1870's Arkansas and whose father murderer has fled to Indian country, speaks in a Biblical-Shakespearean style.  She's determined  to avenge her father's death and partners with a U.S. marshall to do so.  The music, mostly hymns, enhances the movie.  Once again the Coen brothers have succeeded in giving a fresh look to a familiar genre.

My rating:  **** (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment