Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Book: "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"


I don't normally read genre fiction, but here I was in Paris, I'd finished the book I brought with me, 5 back issues of the New York Times Book Review, the book Rohn had loaned me, and still had 7 days to go before returning home. The co-reader had found this book too slow moving, so I hijacked it from him.

The most compelling thing about about this book is its two main characters. Mikael Blomkvist is a journalist who has been duped into writing a libelous article about a corrupt corporation and convicted to serve several months in prison. Pror to serving his sentence, in the course of another investigation, he hires a private investigator, Lisbeth Salander, to assist with research. She appears to have Aspbergers. She has almost no social skills, but is highly focused, with a photographic memory, the ability to hack into computers, and no compunctions at all about doing so. The relationship that develops between these two as they solve a decades old mystery is the most interesting thing about this book.

My rating: *** (out of 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment