Friday, October 2, 2015

One of the Last Sandboxes in Paris

The first thing we did today was stop by the Tourism Office for information about Nuit Blanche, an all night art event that takes place early every October.  Unless I totally mis-translated a sign in the Métro, one of the exhibits is knitting related, so that's going to be first on our agenda tomorrow night.

Our quest for today was to find one of the three remaining sandboxes in Paris.  These boxes were used to store sand for sprinkling on streets that were slippery from ice, snow, or horseshit.  They're no longer in use because sand has been replaced by salt.  We got lucky and found the first one we looked for.  The sandbox was a little higher than 6 feet.  It was difficult to get a good photo because it was so bright out, but this photo gives you the general idea.












Yesterday on the train we ate salty and sweet snacks rather than actual food, so today we opted for a salad lunch (with wine, of course).  Bill had a Nordic salad with smoked salmon and gravlax, and I had an Italian salad with Serrano ham, fresh mozzarella, and cantaloupe.











On our walk to buy tonight's baguette, we came across Place Marlene Dietrich.  It's not a very exciting place, just an intersection where 5 streets come together.




3 comments:

  1. I think you and Bill seeing Place Marlene Dietrich was a little Snuske Magic! I had a dream about him the other night. I was at an antique mall and he walked up to me with a young, dark, handsome man. I turned and saw Steven and said, "Oh my God, how are you?" and he said, "I am great!" We chatted a little bit though he never introduced me to his new friend. So many things remind me of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you and Bill seeing Place Marlene Dietrich was a little Snuske Magic! I had a dream about him the other night. I was at an antique mall and he walked up to me with a young, dark, handsome man. I turned and saw Steven and said, "Oh my God, how are you?" and he said, "I am great!" We chatted a little bit though he never introduced me to his new friend. So many things remind me of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we saw Place Marlene Dietrich we immediately thought of Steve, and that's why we made sure to see it.

    ReplyDelete